The Charity for relief in
The Charity was
established in 1976 by a Scheme of the Charity Commissioners for England and
Wales. It combines the Consolidated Charities Scheme of 1892 (itself revised in
1897 and 1916, and by the 1960 Charities Act) with the 1839 Charity of John
Calvert. The eight Trustees apply the income from the Charity to help either
individuals or organisations from the Parish of Stillington, who are in
conditions of need, hardship or distress. Grants of money may be given, or
items, services or facilities may be provided. In 1998, besides individuals and
three village organisations benefiting, flowers were given to the sick and
infirm at Christmas and all village residents were invited for a free Christmas
The Classic Car Club
Classic Car Club was formed in 1991 when Chris Thurstans purchased his first
car, a 1928 Model A. Since then the club has grown to approximately 20 members
from Stillington and York. They meet regularly during the season for various
events, and have about twelve classic cars.
The Craft Group
In 1989 Muriel
Law and Hilda Nash thought they needed some kind of craft stall at future
bazaars, so they arranged a meeting at Muriel Law's house asking for volunteers
to join them. This was the start of the craft group. For the Christmas bazaar
they decided to make wreaths and table decorations. This was a huge success.
They then incorporated the idea of cream teas every Bank Holiday Monday at the
Chapel. In ten years the Group have raised a substantial amount of money for
the Church and Chapel. All thanks to a willing band of approximately nine
The Duck Keeper
In 1999 Vic Green
took over the job of Duck keeper from Richard Frankland. Numbers vary
considerably, but at one point in that breeding season there were approaching
forty mallard ducks on the pond. They are fed twice a day; and numbers take
their toll naturally or being hit (by vehicles) whilst in flight or crossing the
The Gardening Club
Gardening Club was founded in 1979. It meets monthly in the village hall from
September to March with a programme of speakers and an average attendance of
30. In 1999 membership stood at 200+, with an annual subscription of only £2
per family. Members give and raise plants for the end of May sale. This with
subscriptions funds expenses. There are summer visits, with the produce show
between mid August and early September. Members have discounts including seeds
and fertilisers. Both the committee, which in 1999 still included two founder
members, and the membership, reflects a balance of long-term and recent
The Neighbourhood Watch
properties, within the confines of the village, are divided between 36
co-ordinators. Stillington now receives information via a "Ringmaster"
automatic system used by the North Yorkshire Police. Messages are received
either from the Police or from our own "Village Grapevine" and then disseminated
to all residents.
The Parish Council
seven Parish Council Members who are elected for a four year term. The Parish
rate, which forms part of the District Council tax, is set annually - and most
of the expenditure is taken up by grass cutting and payment of the Parish
Clerk. The Parish Council meet monthly in the Village Hall and all electors are
invited to attend.
The Pastoral Care Group
A Pastoral Care
Scheme was set up early in 1995 by a group from the Methodist Chapel and St
Nicholas Church. It aims to give support to anyone in need either directly or
by contacting the appropriate agency. The village is divided into five areas
each supported by two ladies. The co-ordinator of the scheme is Desmond
Redding. The group is very much aware that a great deal of spontaneous care
takes place in the village. The existence of the group should ensure that
everyone in the village knows someone whom they can contact.
meets in the village hall every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. The
Group has one paid Supervisor who is aided each day by two unpaid helpers.
During 1999, between 10 to 14 children have been registered with the playgroup.
The Government's 'Free Nursery Places For All four Year Olds' started in 1997.
Unfortunately, the Group was not able to meet the criteria for receiving funds.
Today, therefore most of our children leave the playgroup at the age of four and
start the local school where Government funding was granted.
The Royal British Legion
Formed in 1925,
the Stillington and District Branch of the Royal British Legion will celebrate
its 75th anniversary in 2000. The Royal British Legion is the largest
ex-service organisation in this country and its main aim is to help all
ex-service people and their dependants whenever and whatever need exists. As
most of the ex-service people from World War II are now over 75, claims for help
grow. The main source of funds is the annual poppy appeal in the first
fortnight in November. The Stillington branch also holds a Remembrance Day
ecumenical service in Stillington, Brandsby and Sutton churches in turn, with
poppy wreaths laid on the local War Memorials.
Stillington group of Brownies and Guides were disbanded in 1998, owing to a
shortage of volunteers to be leaders. The Brownies now meet at either
Easingwold or Huby and Guides go to Easingwold. Cub Scouts join in with the
Moxby pack meeting at Huby Village Hall and the Scouts go to either Moxby or
Easingwold. Perhaps, if volunteers can be found, Stillington can have its own
By the start of
the Millennium Year, Stillington News was 5 years old. Published monthly for
the villages of Stillington and Marton cum Moxby, it carries news on all aspects
of village life. Its purpose is to give information about every organisation in
the villages and to keep the housebound in touch. Funded by voluntary
contribution, it is delivered free to every house within walking distance, with
extra copies available at the Post Office. Four months after its inauguration,
The Stillington News was awarded a "Community Action Award", sponsored by
Tyne-Tees Television and Taylors' Tea of Harrogate.
The Sunday School
The Sunday School
meets weekly in the Chapel on Sunday mornings throughout school term time. Once
a month, there is a joint Church/Chapel Family Service held in alternating
venues. There are normally six teachers who work on a rota system, and some
eight to ten children with an average age of four to ten years attend.
The Women's Institute
currently has twenty five members, meeting on the second Wednesday of each
month, in the Village Hall. Run by a committee of eight members, the Millennium
Year Chairman is Mrs Kath Brown. Meetings start at 7.30 pm, with a short
business session and then a speaker. Topics are very varied and cater for all
interests. As an example, in 1999 subjects covered included The Flowers of
Greece, Whitby Jet Jewellery, The Brontes, The Salvation Army and
Physiotherapy. The August meeting is a social event, usually an outing, such as
a visit to the local theatre, with a meal beforehand. The W.I. is always open
to new members, especially from the younger residents of the village.
Dominoes, Pool and Darts
'Pub' games are
an important feature in the social life of the village. The Bay Horse has a
team in the Summer Darts League. Teams from the Bay Horse and the Sports and
Social Club also play in the John Smith's Easingwold and District Summer Pool
League. However, the darker winter evenings allow more time for social
activities. The Bay Horse has a darts team in the Easingwold and District Darts
League. The Sports and Social Club and the White Bear both enter two teams, and
the Bay Horse has one team in the John Smith's Easingwold and District Pool
League. The White Bear, the Sports and Social Club and the Bay Horse 'A' and
'B' teams play in the "Villages" 'Dominoes 5's and 3's' league. Matches are
played on a 'home and away' basis, linking Stillington's social life to that of
Easingwold and the surrounding villages.
The Sports And Social Club
Sports and Social Club, founded in 1959, is south of the village off the York
Road. The land is vested in the Charity Commissioners under the Playing Fields
Association, and is run by the local committee. The club house has two main
rooms each with a bar. It is the venue for many social activities such as bingo
monthly quizzes which raise money for local good causes, and country music
nights. It is also 'home' to the rest of the groups and organisations described
The Bowling Club
The Bowling Club,
opened by Yorkshire Bowler Bob Ashman, is now in its 21st year and currently has
44 members. Teams compete in the following leagues: Hovingham District (Rinks),
York and District Private Clubs (Triples), Galtres League (Triples) Hovingham
Mini-league (Triples) and the veterans play in the Hovingham District League
(Triples). Each season the club holds an Open Pairs Tournament and a two-wood
Open Singles competition.
The Cricket Club
The Cricket Club
has two teams in the York and District Senior Costcutter's League (in Division 2
and Division 5) and a team in Division 2 of the Pilmoor Evening League. Junior
cricket has recently taken off in the area and Stillington has had an Under-14
side in the Galtres League since its inception. For 1999 there has also been an
Under-16 team in the York and District Mitchell Sports League. Collis King, an
ex-test cricketer from the West Indies, has been playing with Stillington for
the past four seasons (1996-99). In 1999, the club installed two artificial
practice wickets and nets with aid from the Foundation for Sport and the Arts.
The Dancing Group
The group started
about ten years ago. Initially there were ten members from the village; and
they now have about forty members, mainly from the surrounding area. They do
Sequence and Modern Ballroom, and it is all good exercise for all ages.
The Line Dancing Group
pastime became very popular during the 1990s. Every Tuesday from February 1996
to Easter 1998 Dave and Marion Ford led a full hall at the Sports and Social
Club. However, as other venues have taken up Line Dancing the numbers have
reduced. The group continues to meet led by Bob and Pauline Young who have been
in charge since May 1998.
The Football Club
The Football Club
has certainly been in existence for over 100 years. At present the First team
is in the Leeper and Hare York and District Senior League Division 2, and the
Reserves are in Reserve Section C. Junior football has been played in the area
for about 25 years and some of the youngsters have gone on to sign professional
forms. The Corinthians Under-15 and Under-11 sections are playing at
Stillington for the 1999 - 2000 season.
The Hockey Club
club's first gathering on the pitch in December 1979 produced over 30 players,
and included the future international player, Andrew Bolland from Easingwold.
Games have always been played on Sunday afternoons and initially were friendly
matches for Mixed, Men's, Ladies' and Junior Girls' teams. The Club now caters
for Ladies and Junior Girls, with friendly matches being played with fixtures
from Driffield over to Pickering.
The Jazz Club
In 1994 a jazz
band that had been regularly playing in Easingwold stopped because of lack of
support. However, two or three villagers felt that there was an audience
locally for live extemporised music and so The Stillington and Brandsby Jazz
Appreciation Society was born. Concerts are held at about three monthly
intervals, and several excursions have been made to the Pickering Jazz
Festival. Mike Green, an accomplished jazz band leader from Harrogate brings a
varying group of musicians which usually make a four-piece line up. They mainly
play melodies written either just before, or in the early part of this century.
The events in the social club are free and are funded by a raffle and generous
support by enthusiasts.
The Squash Club
Chairman of the Sports Council, opened the Courts in 1983. The Club has a
mainly senior membership of about 100 players. For the winter season, there are
four Men's teams and two Ladies' teams playing in the York and District
Leagues. During the summer, two Mixed teams play in the Mitchell York and
The Tennis Club
The courts were
opened in 1977 by Gina Huntington (LTA Coach) and Malcolm Huntington (Wimbledon
Umpire). The shale surfaces were replaced with an all weather surface in 1986.
The Club caters for all standards and has over 100 Senior and Junior members.
In 1999 there were two Mixed Doubles teams playing in Divisions 2 and 5 of the
York and District League, and a Ladies' Doubles team in Division 5 of the
Fulford Ladies League.